Sunday, May 11, 2008

Gastropod Systematics

Reactions:  
Currently I am preparing for my last ordinary class "exam". Actually it is my 2nd try. I passed the parts about amphineura and conchifera, well, with the exception of the gastropoda. I think that is because my professor here is a real gastropod expert and a huge fan of these slimy beasts. I figured I make a virtue out of my little problem and start a small series about gastropoda. It will largely be based on my class notes and scripts. Basicly I am trying to make me learn it by turning studying into blog posts. I was never a great fan of fossils thus I hope to turn studying these beasts into fun somehow. I will start with something simple that does not involve much background knowledge. These post will mostly deal with gastropods from the fossil record. Please take note that there are different systematics. I will use the one we learn at university. I take no guarantee for completeness or correctness of my contributions here.

Gastropod Systematics

There are four sub-classes of gastropods relevant to this discussion. These are the Archaeogastropoda, Neritimorpha, Caenogastropoda and Heterostropha (also named Heterobranchia). The main sub-classes are again sub-divided into super-orders.

Archaeogastropoda
  • Patellogastropoda
  • Bellerophontida
  • Vetigastropoda
Neritimorpha
  • Neritoidea
  • Neritopsoidea
  • Platyceratoidea
  • Hydrocenoidea
Caenogastropoda
  • Architaenioglossa
  • Ceritimorpha
  • Littorinimorpha
  • Strombimorpha
  • Heteropoda
  • Ptenoglossa
  • Latrogastropoda with Neomesogastropoda and Neogastropoda
Heterostropha
  • Allogastropoda
  • Ophistobranchia
  • Pulmonata
This for the start. More tomorrow or later. If you are familiar with gastropod systematics you might notice differences with the ones you know. It is giving me quite a fight really comparing the difference kinds of classification and learning the one my professor prefers. Again, these are the ones taught in class and the classes, orders, families and so on that I need to know in the exam.

No comments :