Tuesday, September 9, 2008

50 minerals meme

Reactions:  
Everyone seems to be jumping on the bandwaggon after Chuck from Lab Lemming started the 50 minerals you should have seen meme. Hmm..there is not much else to say but I might add some other minerals in a seperate addition underneath that I have seen in the wild for sure but are not listed here.

Bold for minerals seen in the wild, italic for in the lab or at uni.

Andalusite
Apatite
Barite
Beryl
Biotite
Chromite
Chrysotile
Cordierite
Corundum
Diamond*
Dolomite
Florencite
Galena
Garnet
Graphite
Gypsum
Halite
Haematite
Hornblende
Illite
Illmenite
Kaolinite
Kyanite
Lepidolite
Limonite
Magnetite
Molybdenite
Monazite
Nepheline
Olivine
Omphacite
Opal
Perovskite
Plagioclase
Pyrite
Quartz
Rutile
Sanidine
Sillimanite
Silver (native)
Sphalerite
Staurolite
Sulphur (native)
Talc
Tourmaline
Tremolite
Turquoise
Vermiculite
Willemite
Zeolite
Zircon

My personal additions that I think are important:

Amber (I know, technically it is not a mineral but...)
Anhydrite
Arsenic (native - wonderful garlic smell)
Chalcopyrite
Fluorite
Hauyne/Hauynite
Pechblende
Rhodochrosite
Siderite
Sylvinite (it tastes so..."delicious")
Vanadinite
Zinnwaldite

I am surprised how many I know. :-o

No comments :