Not being directly involved into any research or university projects does not leave much room but to focus on things I happen to come across. Admittedly that is not very satisfying. Writing about interesting issues that I am not having any kind of personal connection to through either my own work or private journeys is also not what I want. I need a direction. Therefore I am trying to more clearly outline my own interests. My upcoming mapping project will somehow provide for a lot of good geology to write about but on the same time my ability to do so will be restricted by less internet access. There just is no internet cafe in the middle of the forrest. Anyways. Below I am trying to put the future of my geoblog into a (preliminary) shape.
UPDATE: I should also have added carbonate sedimentology (or rather geology?) and karst phenomena to my list.
- My personal work and research: The mesozoic sediments of the Southern Upper Rhine Graben and the carbonate and clay potential as a industrial resource. Think cement, bricks and refractory materials.
- Personal anecdotes and encounters with geology: The story behind the story. Geology is not done by machines but by people - in this case by me. So I will occasionally write about that. Also I happen to come across interesting places. Just think about my posts about Lima or the Rhumequelle.
- Mineral deposits: That is what I specialised in and what fascinates me. It is one of the reasons of why I want to blog. Until now I did not know how to incorporate this into my blogging though. I will pick the most interesting mineral deposits article I come across each month and write about it and what it is about. One article per months appears to be a practical goal.
- Geoblogs and random stuff: Anything that does not fit into the above three categories. Geoblogs, WoGE, Accretionary Wedge contributions and memes. There will be no more distinction between weekend fun and weekend field foto and whatnot. Maybe I leave that out completely I was not very regularly doing it anyways.
- Art/Painting: I will not share all my hobbies on this blog but I decided I will occasionally show you my paintings. Why? Hmm..why not?!
- (No) incognito blogging: I have been pondering this but with no conclusion. There are certain advantages and disadvantages. The point is that anything I write about my mapping project leads directly to me because I am the only one working in it. I will be cooperating with a regional geological survey. Most information will be public or public domain but some won't be. If I can blog about certain things will require their permission. And...if they know - why not the rest, too? But...well you get the idea I think.