Tuesday, August 25, 2009

One end, one beginning and very vague ponderings about the future.

Reactions:  
Today I had a last moment battle with finishing my diploma mapping report while trying to get it printed. That problem is solved and tomorrow I can pick-up several copies of the report. So, basicly, I am done and will hand it in to the examination office probably first week of september. Done.

At the same time I am starting the next project - my actual diploma thesis (about the same as a Master thesis). The planing for the field work has already begun and I found a cheap but practically located place to stay in the south-eastern most corner of France. Field work will be two weeks in the first half of october. There are some issues that need to be resolved, still, but in generall it's all settled.

I don't know if I can really reveal what exactly I will be doing, where exactly and for whom exactly but it is safe to tell you that I will again be working on limestones. As the planing is now I will be comparing the carbonate depositional environment to the quality of the limestone. The theme is cooperation with a large, German manufacturer of construction materials. Plus some other stuff. By the end of my thesis I will probably run away screaming from any limestone I see...haha...

So the end of the end seems near. Sometime first half next year, the latest, I will in the happy posession of a diploma degree in geology. If you followed my blog you may have noticed my contacts with the Industrial Minerals, Economic Geology and Sedimentology. There are some important decisions to be taken by me in the next six months. I need to decide if I want to find a good job and work in the industry or if I rather try my luck and find a nice PhD position. Especially the later also means to find a topic I really love and find enough motivation for to survive 3 to 5 years of investigating. Don't ask what I have in mine. My head is full of vague ideas about carbonate-hosted Pb-Zn or supergene Pb-Zn deposits, tantalum-niobium deposits, phosphorite deposits, shallow-marine carbonates and some exotic stuff.

Of course this will also affect my blogging. Most important I need to find out what is good to blog - and what to leave out of here.

I will see, and you, perhaps, too.

4 comments :

BrianR said...

congrats on seeing the project to completion ... always a good feeling ... go celebrate!

AYDIN Ă–RSTAN said...

Ah, but limestone is good, 'cause one can find lots of snails where there is limestone. :)

Thedailyreviewer said...

Congratulations! Our selection committee compiled an exclusive list of the Top 100 geology Blogs, and yours was included! Check it out at
http://thedailyreviewer.com/top/geology

You can claim your Top 100 Blogs Award Badge at
http://thedailyreviewer.com/blog/8666

Cheers!

Angelina...

Lost Geologist said...

Brian, I'll be spending next days with my girlfriend. The examination office is currently closed and my supervisor on a one week business trip. I figure I can go, too, as there is nothing that I could do.

Aydin, when I am back I will post a few fotos of snail fossils that I found. Please remind me if I should forget. There are certainly some Nerineans, Archaeograstropoda as well as some really tiny ones.