06 January, 2016

Hello 2016

Hello 2016! I hope you all had a merry christmas and a blast of a new years eve! This is a rather personal start into 2016 post. The end of my doctoral thesis project is near. 2016 will see a lot of exciting, important, and life-changing challenges and opportunities. One way or another I will write a lot, finish my doctoral studies, defend my thesis, publish/submit two papers related to my thesis, find a lot of money, write a lot of job applications, finally find a job, move, find a place to live, start a paper on my pet research topic, find funding and support to turn my pet research topic into a real research topic, and while doing all of that I will try to stay a normal human being.

The year began successful: I did not make make a resolution! The first week of 2016 therefore was full with success. I began building/reseaching a literature database for another up-coming project (aka downloading 50+ papers), gave meaningful file names to existing literature collections (extensive use of the rename file function), actually read one paper (4-pagers count), installed Profex for Rietveld-refinement of XRD data (and since wonder how it calculates that chemical composition...), and looked into the manuscript and supervisor comments of my next paper (reading the "publication ready" parts does count).

I am looking forward to defending my doctoral thesis. I am also looking forward to getting out of the office and away from the computer again to do fieldwork. Regarding the blog I want to turn this into a more professional framework. It would be great to show more of what I actually do and work with - at least the parts that can be put online without worries. Having those papers out will be very good for that!

No comments: